CF card failure
PeterN
2014-08-27 22:52:12 UTC
It was overdue, but I had a CF card failure. True to Murphy's law, the
files were experimental, and would have taken hours to repeat.
Fortunately, I did a recovery using OnTrack and all went well.

Just wanted to pass the word that I found the program easy to use, and
worked well. I used the home edition.
I have no connection with this company except as a customer.

<http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/recovery-software/windows/>
PeterN
nospam
2014-08-27 23:11:58 UTC
that's rather expensive for recovering a memory card.
PeterN
2014-08-28 00:19:29 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
It was overdue, but I had a CF card failure. True to Murphy's law, the
files were experimental, and would have taken hours to repeat.
Fortunately, I did a recovery using OnTrack and all went well.
that's rather expensive for recovering a memory card.
At $79 it was worth it to me. I did not want to spend hours loking for a
free program that might or might not solve my problem. The who process
toook under 15 min, including learning how to use the program. If you
believe that to be expensive, I feel sorry for you.
PeterN
nospam
2014-08-28 02:30:28 UTC
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
It was overdue, but I had a CF card failure. True to Murphy's law, the
files were experimental, and would have taken hours to repeat.
Fortunately, I did a recovery using OnTrack and all went well.
that's rather expensive for recovering a memory card.
At $79 it was worth it to me. I did not want to spend hours loking for a
free program that might or might not solve my problem. The who process
toook under 15 min, including learning how to use the program. If you
believe that to be expensive, I feel sorry for you.
then you're inept, among other things.

it takes about a minute or two to find a less expensive option,
including free alternatives. or you could have asked for suggestions
and quickly had many options.

more importantly, if instead of arguing all the time, you actually paid
attention to what gets discussed in this newsgroup, you would have
known the name of what is considered to be the best photo recovery app
available, mentioned in another thread just two months ago, and it's
about half the price.
Eric Stevens
2014-08-28 07:58:07 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
I doubt if anyone except the poster would have remembered the name of
any app that far back.

I'm sure I read it, but what was it?
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
PeterN
2014-08-28 14:27:11 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
nosense is just trying to start a tool war over recovery apps. I won't bite.
It would be interesting to see if he tries and shows an infrared
interpretation. I am hoping to get more to participate.
PeterN
android
2014-08-28 16:58:11 UTC
Post by PeterN
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
I saw nospams recommendation. You could saved some $$$ if you hadn't so
boldly ignored him. ;-)
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
PeterN
2014-08-28 19:27:31 UTC
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
I you check I started this thread. His recomendation came too late.
Besides, I got what I needed, when I needed it. It was worth the few
bucks.
PeterN
android
2014-08-28 19:44:38 UTC
Post by PeterN
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
Ish! nospam had this posted two months ago. See the above... You didn't
do proper research!! Time si money and you are a chepooo!!!
PAS
2014-08-28 20:11:11 UTC
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by android
Post by PeterN
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:30:28 -0400, nospam
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
Who checks two-month-old postings, let alone remembers what nospam
posts?
android
2014-08-29 03:03:50 UTC
Post by PAS
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
Why do we share? Why do we care? I feel a Oprha moment comming...
Whisky-dave
if anyone says anything intresting, informative or just funny, I save the relavent text in a gmail draft that I can hopefully search through in the future. Currently I have 755 drafts....
android
2014-08-29 12:25:17 UTC
Post by Whisky-dave
Post by PAS
Post by android
Ish! nospam had this posted two months ago. See the above... You didn't
do proper research!! Time si money and you are a chepooo!!!
Who checks two-month-old postings, let alone remembers what nospam
posts?
if anyone says anything intresting, informative or just funny, I save the
relavent text in a gmail draft that I can hopefully search through in the
future. Currently I have 755 drafts....
I OTOH just hit option s! But that's me. ;-)
Sandman
2014-08-29 12:47:14 UTC
Post by android
Post by Whisky-dave
Post by PAS
Post by android
Ish! nospam had this posted two months ago. See the above...
You didn't do proper research!! Time si money and you are a
chepooo!!!
Who checks two-month-old postings, let alone remembers what
nospam posts?
if anyone says anything intresting, informative or just funny, I
save the relavent text in a gmail draft that I can hopefully
search through in the future. Currently I have 755 drafts....
I OTOH just hit option s! But that's me. ;-)
I save.. "interesting" statements in a nice database:

http://usenet.sandman.net/Quotes

And I have indexed RPD back to 2012-something, which is searchable here:

http://usenet.sandman.net/reader/index/list?group=rec.photo.digital
Sandman[.net]
android
2014-08-29 14:20:24 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Whisky-dave
Post by PAS
Post by android
Ish! nospam had this posted two months ago. See the above...
You didn't do proper research!! Time si money and you are a
chepooo!!!
Who checks two-month-old postings, let alone remembers what
nospam posts?
if anyone says anything intresting, informative or just funny, I
save the relavent text in a gmail draft that I can hopefully
search through in the future. Currently I have 755 drafts....
I OTOH just hit option s! But that's me. ;-)
http://usenet.sandman.net/Quotes
http://usenet.sandman.net/reader/index/list?group=rec.photo.digital
There was this other guy, in another time and newsgroup that was
obsessed with stuff like that too. Haven't heard from/about him in a
looong time...
Sandman
2014-08-29 15:40:46 UTC
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
I OTOH just hit option s! But that's me. ;-)
http://usenet.sandman.net/Quotes
http://usenet.sandman.net/reader/index/list?group=rec.photo.digital
There was this other guy, in another time and newsgroup that was
obsessed with stuff like that too. Haven't heard from/about him in a
looong time...
Poor guy, obsession sucks. Glad I'm not like that "too".
Sandman[.net]
android
2014-08-31 05:06:39 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
I OTOH just hit option s! But that's me. ;-)
http://usenet.sandman.net/Quotes
http://usenet.sandman.net/reader/index/list?group=rec.photo.digital
There was this other guy, in another time and newsgroup that was
obsessed with stuff like that too. Haven't heard from/about him in a
looong time...
Poor guy, obsession sucks. Glad I'm not like that "too".
"We" all know that you are happy happy to be you... "We" hope that that
happy place of yours is well secluded...
Sandman
2014-08-31 05:19:40 UTC
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
I OTOH just hit option s! But that's me. ;-)
http://usenet.sandman.net/Quotes
And I have indexed RPD back to 2012-something, which is
http://usenet.sandman.net/reader/index/list?group=rec.photo.digital
There was this other guy, in another time and newsgroup that was
obsessed with stuff like that too. Haven't heard from/about him
in a looong time...
Poor guy, obsession sucks. Glad I'm not like that "too".
"We" all know that you are happy happy to be you... "We" hope that
that happy place of yours is well secluded...
Are the voices in your head bothering you again, huh? That must suck worse
than being as obsessed as your "friend".
Sandman[.net]
android
2014-08-31 05:25:43 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
I OTOH just hit option s! But that's me. ;-)
http://usenet.sandman.net/Quotes
http://usenet.sandman.net/reader/index/list?group=rec.photo.digital
There was this other guy, in another time and newsgroup that was
obsessed with stuff like that too. Haven't heard from/about him
in a looong time...
Poor guy, obsession sucks. Glad I'm not like that "too".
"We" all know that you are happy happy to be you... "We" hope that
that happy place of yours is well secluded...
Are the voices in your head bothering you again, huh? That must suck worse
than being as obsessed as your "friend".
I thought the "voices" were at your place! ;-p And no, it was not a
"friend". ;-@
Sandman
2014-09-01 07:28:27 UTC
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Poor guy, obsession sucks. Glad I'm not like that
"too".
"We" all know that you are happy happy to be you... "We" hope
that that happy place of yours is well secluded...
Are the voices in your head bothering you again, huh? That must
suck worse than being as obsessed as your "friend".
I thought the "voices" were at your place! ;-p And no, it was not a
This has got be a runner up to the Worst Comeback Ever contest of 1979.
Sandman[.net]
android
2014-09-01 08:38:56 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Poor guy, obsession sucks. Glad I'm not like that
"too".
"We" all know that you are happy happy to be you... "We" hope
that that happy place of yours is well secluded...
Are the voices in your head bothering you again, huh? That must
suck worse than being as obsessed as your "friend".
I thought the "voices" were at your place! ;-p And no, it was not a
This has got be a runner up to the Worst Comeback Ever contest of 1979.
Nope, he's not back. Just checked...
Eric Stevens
2014-08-29 21:29:28 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Whisky-dave
Post by PAS
Post by android
Ish! nospam had this posted two months ago. See the above...
You didn't do proper research!! Time si money and you are a
chepooo!!!
Who checks two-month-old postings, let alone remembers what
nospam posts?
if anyone says anything intresting, informative or just funny, I
save the relavent text in a gmail draft that I can hopefully
search through in the future. Currently I have 755 drafts....
I OTOH just hit option s! But that's me. ;-)
http://usenet.sandman.net/Quotes
I would keep that list under wraps if I were you. But I suppose now it
will turn up under Google. :-(
Post by Sandman
http://usenet.sandman.net/reader/index/list?group=rec.photo.digital
I go about this a different way. I have archives going back a year or
more (depending on news group) and use Agent's 'Global Search'
function to find what I want amongst them. That used to be slow but
with modern computers it's very fast. One advantage it has is that you
can use Agent's expression language to create Boolean expressions.
This can be very helpful if you can't quite remember what words were
used to describe whatever it is that you are trying to track down.
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
Sandman
2014-08-31 05:02:54 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Whisky-dave
if anyone says anything intresting, informative
or just funny, I save the relavent text in a gmail draft that
I can hopefully search through in the future. Currently I have
755 drafts....
I OTOH just hit option s! But that's me. ;-)
http://usenet.sandman.net/Quotes
I would keep that list under wraps if I were you.
Why?
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
Sandman[.net]
android
2014-08-31 05:27:12 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
The Goog wanna keep that madness (not the band) copyrighted theirs.
Sandman
2014-09-01 07:28:53 UTC
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
The Goog wanna keep that madness (not the band) copyrighted theirs.
Uh no. Do you ever post anything even vaguely related to reality?
Sandman[.net]
android
2014-09-01 08:37:31 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
The Goog wanna keep that madness (not the band) copyrighted theirs.
Uh no. Do you ever post anything even vaguely related to reality?
Madnes was (is?) a band...
Sandman
2014-09-01 09:27:08 UTC
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under
Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
The Goog wanna keep that madness (not the band) copyrighted theirs.
Uh no. Do you ever post anything even vaguely related to reality?
Madnes was (is?) a band...
I know, but I was in reference to the idea of Google wanting to "copyright"
the content of usenet posts.
Sandman[.net]
android
2014-09-01 09:33:20 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under
Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
The Goog wanna keep that madness (not the band) copyrighted theirs.
Uh no. Do you ever post anything even vaguely related to reality?
Madnes was (is?) a band...
I know, but I was in reference to the idea of Google wanting to "copyright"
the content of usenet posts.
I'm sure that the Goog would looove that. I think that they might try
the "orphaned oeuvres route". I'm not sure though...

Do you want some emoticons with that??? I'm too good for this. ;-P
Sandman
2014-09-01 09:54:46 UTC
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under
Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
The Goog wanna keep that madness (not the band)
copyrighted theirs.
Uh no. Do you ever post anything even vaguely related
to reality?
Madnes was (is?) a band...
I know, but I was in reference to the idea of Google wanting to
"copyright" the content of usenet posts.
I'm sure that the Goog would looove that. I think that they might
try the "orphaned oeuvres route". I'm not sure though...
Do you want some emoticons with that??? I'm too good for this. ;-P
Android posting just to hear himself type again. What's up with the
content-void posts? Surely you can find *something* to write about?
Sandman[.net]
android
2014-09-01 10:08:40 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under
Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
The Goog wanna keep that madness (not the band)
copyrighted theirs.
Uh no. Do you ever post anything even vaguely related
to reality?
Madnes was (is?) a band...
I know, but I was in reference to the idea of Google wanting to
"copyright" the content of usenet posts.
I'm sure that the Goog would looove that. I think that they might
try the "orphaned oeuvres route". I'm not sure though...
Do you want some emoticons with that??? I'm too good for this. ;-P
Android posting just to hear himself type again. What's up with the
content-void posts? Surely you can find *something* to write about?
It's android with a lowercase a! ;-P
Sandman
2014-09-01 11:33:50 UTC
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
I know, but I was in reference to the idea of Google
wanting to "copyright" the content of usenet posts.
I'm sure that the Goog would looove that. I think that they
might try the "orphaned oeuvres route". I'm not sure though...
Do you want some emoticons with that??? I'm too good for this. ;-P
Android posting just to hear himself type again. What's up with
the content-void posts? Surely you can find *something* to write
about?
It's android with a lowercase a! ;-P
Just as "it's" is spelt with a lower case "i". Unless, of course, it's the
word that starts the sentence. In which case it's spelt using a capital
letter.

You're welcome.

(Btw, "spelt" is Brittish English for "spelled") :)
Sandman[.net], educating the trolls since 1995.
android
2014-09-01 11:47:36 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
I know, but I was in reference to the idea of Google
wanting to "copyright" the content of usenet posts.
I'm sure that the Goog would looove that. I think that they
might try the "orphaned oeuvres route". I'm not sure though...
Do you want some emoticons with that??? I'm too good for this. ;-P
Android posting just to hear himself type again. What's up with
the content-void posts? Surely you can find *something* to write
about?
It's android with a lowercase a! ;-P
Just as "it's" is spelt with a lower case "i". Unless, of course, it's the
word that starts the sentence. In which case it's spelt using a capital
letter.
You're welcome.
(Btw, "spelt" is Brittish English for "spelled") :)
It's a name (android) in this context and you are a very rude person.
You're family should have put you away good! Are you a Brittish person?
Never heard of those before. Never mind: I'm sure you meant Brattish...
Sandman
2014-09-01 14:40:36 UTC
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
Post by android
Post by Sandman
[...]
Do you want another try to write a more comprehensible paragraph?
Sandman[.net]
Whisky-dave
2014-09-01 11:54:07 UTC
Actually it's British :-)
Whisky-dave
Yes Madness still playing gigs, Playing at the O2 in London in December.
android
Eric Stevens
2014-08-31 09:26:17 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
But it doesn't necessarily order or collate it.
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
android
2014-08-31 11:15:45 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
But it doesn't necessarily order or collate it.
I don't think that you can assume that the Goog reveals all the research
that they conduct on data that they gather on the nets. Nor that all
search result are fully accurate in respect to the users search term.
Eric Stevens
2014-09-01 04:41:46 UTC
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
But it doesn't necessarily order or collate it.
I don't think that you can assume that the Goog reveals all the research
that they conduct on data that they gather on the nets. Nor that all
search result are fully accurate in respect to the users search term.
I think it's steadily getting worse and now is bordering on useless.

Oh for the days of Deja Vu.
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
android
2014-09-01 05:15:17 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
http://dejanews.com/ ;-ppp
Eric Stevens
2014-09-01 07:41:16 UTC
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
But it doesn't necessarily order or collate it.
I don't think that you can assume that the Goog reveals all the research
that they conduct on data that they gather on the nets. Nor that all
search result are fully accurate in respect to the users search term.
I think it's steadily getting worse and now is bordering on useless.
Oh for the days of Deja Vu.
http://dejanews.com/ ;-ppp
Not the same thing. Not at all the same thing. Google bought Deja Vu
and slowly transformed it into the travesty it is today.
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
android
2014-09-01 08:35:40 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
But it doesn't necessarily order or collate it.
I don't think that you can assume that the Goog reveals all the research
that they conduct on data that they gather on the nets. Nor that all
search result are fully accurate in respect to the users search term.
I think it's steadily getting worse and now is bordering on useless.
Oh for the days of Deja Vu.
http://dejanews.com/ ;-ppp
Not the same thing. Not at all the same thing. Google bought Deja Vu
and slowly transformed it into the travesty it is today.
That that you call Deja Vu was the Dejanews service. The name was a pun,
sort of. Hit the link...
Eric Stevens
2014-09-01 08:51:34 UTC
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
But it doesn't necessarily order or collate it.
I don't think that you can assume that the Goog reveals all the research
that they conduct on data that they gather on the nets. Nor that all
search result are fully accurate in respect to the users search term.
I think it's steadily getting worse and now is bordering on useless.
Oh for the days of Deja Vu.
http://dejanews.com/ ;-ppp
Not the same thing. Not at all the same thing. Google bought Deja Vu
and slowly transformed it into the travesty it is today.
That that you call Deja Vu was the Dejanews service. The name was a pun,
sort of. Hit the link...
Yeah, you are right about the name. But the stuff revealed by the URL
you have given is not a patch on the old stuff..
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
android
2014-09-01 08:55:05 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
But it doesn't necessarily order or collate it.
I don't think that you can assume that the Goog reveals all the research
that they conduct on data that they gather on the nets. Nor that all
search result are fully accurate in respect to the users search term.
I think it's steadily getting worse and now is bordering on useless.
Oh for the days of Deja Vu.
http://dejanews.com/ ;-ppp
Not the same thing. Not at all the same thing. Google bought Deja Vu
and slowly transformed it into the travesty it is today.
That that you call Deja Vu was the Dejanews service. The name was a pun,
sort of. Hit the link...
Yeah, you are right about the name. But the stuff revealed by the URL
you have given is not a patch on the old stuff..
Just passing along some facts of life...
sid
2014-09-01 09:14:25 UTC
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Oh for the days of Deja Vu.
http://dejanews.com/ ;-ppp
what a horrible link, it goes straight here

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!overview

Blah.
sid
android
2014-09-01 09:19:41 UTC
Post by sid
Post by android
Post by Eric Stevens
Oh for the days of Deja Vu.
http://dejanews.com/ ;-ppp
what a horrible link, it goes straight here
---
Post by sid
Blah.
The Goog bought our dear little Deja You know... They shouldn't have
been that EVIL. Not good show!
Sandman
2014-09-01 07:29:43 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
But it doesn't necessarily order or collate it.
Uh, what? groups.google.com does exactly that. It index all of usenet and
order and collate it. Poorly so, these days, but still.
Sandman[.net]
Eric Stevens
2014-09-01 07:42:10 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
But I suppose now it will turn up under Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
But it doesn't necessarily order or collate it.
Uh, what? groups.google.com does exactly that. It index all of usenet and
order and collate it. Poorly so, these days, but still.
I think we are saying much the same thing.
--
Regards,

Eric Stevens
Sandman
2014-09-01 08:11:43 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by Sandman
Post by Eric Stevens
I would keep that list under wraps if I were
you.
But I suppose now it will turn up under
Google. :-(
Uh, Google already index everything on usenet.
But it doesn't necessarily order or collate it.
Uh, what? groups.google.com does exactly that. It index all of
usenet and order and collate it. Poorly so, these days, but still.
I think we are saying much the same thing.
Not really, because you told me I should keep a usenet-index "under wrap"
but "now" it will turn up under Google, but Google already index everything
on usenet, so you're still not making any sense :)
Sandman[.net]
Tzortzakakis Dimitris
Whisky-dave
Mac at home PC at work.
android
2014-08-29 14:47:10 UTC
Post by Whisky-dave
Post by android
Post by Whisky-dave
Post by PAS
Post by android
Ish! nospam had this posted two months ago. See the above... You
didn't
do proper research!! Time si money and you are a chepooo!!!
Who checks two-month-old postings, let alone remembers what nospam
posts?
if anyone says anything intresting, informative or just funny, I save the
relavent text in a gmail draft that I can hopefully search through in the
future. Currently I have 755 drafts....
I OTOH just hit option s! But that's me. ;-)
what's that then ?
Mac at home PC at work.
It saves the article in the forefront window... You're savvy, figure out
the rest yourself! ;-)
Whisky-dave
That's not what I want to do, I want to save a line of too from a particular post in to the drafts folder.
android
2014-08-31 05:03:23 UTC
Post by Whisky-dave
Post by android
Post by Whisky-dave
Post by android
I OTOH just hit option s! But that's me. ;-)
what's that then ?
Mac at home PC at work.
It saves the article in the forefront window... You're savvy, figure out
the rest yourself! ;-)
That's not what I want to do, I want to save a line of too from a particular
post in to the drafts folder.
I guess that you're right on with what you're doing then...
PeterN
2014-08-28 20:43:45 UTC
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
I am a cheapo because I bought the first program that I thought might
work, after trying the demo. Strange use of the word.
PeterN
android
2014-08-29 03:03:54 UTC
Post by PeterN
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
I got one of these http://tinyurl.com/kovct5h one an auctionsite last
night. Almost mint. $22... Can't wait to get it home. No hope that it
actually works though. :-)
Tim Conway
Weston is a very reputable brand in its day anyway. You should be fine.
PeterN
2014-08-29 16:10:38 UTC
Post by Tim Conway
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
Yup! I still use mine.
PeterN
android
2014-08-31 05:13:24 UTC
Post by Tim Conway
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by android
Post by PeterN
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
It's a selenium meter that's over fifty years old. The selenium years
out per radiation. Unless it been in a radiation proof box the
background radiation should have taken it out by now. I very exited
though. Great memorelia of them old days. Ansel Adams used rave about
those thingies!
I fine with meters BTW. I have an old LunaPro and I found instructions
on the net on how to calibrate it for modern batteries, so it works fine
now.
nospam
how does wasting money on crappy software make him a 'chepooo' ?
android
2014-08-29 03:03:45 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by android
Post by PeterN
I you check I started this thread. His recomendation came too late.
Besides, I got what I needed, when I needed it. It was worth the few
bucks.
Ish! nospam had this posted two months ago. See the above... You didn't
do proper research!!
he never does.
Have you told him that?
Post by nospam
Post by android
Time si money and you are a chepooo!!!
how does wasting money on crappy software make him a 'chepooo' ?
Not doing useless research saves him money right? Time is money, you
know!!!
nospam
2014-08-28 15:13:54 UTC
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
the point was that he participated in that particular thread and
commented on that app.

in fact, he even said he was going to save floyd's hack for future use.
yet another false statement.

he is just spouting like he usually does.
<http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/>
android
2014-08-28 16:58:02 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Eric Stevens
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by Eric Stevens
I'm sure I read it, but what was it?
<http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/>
Good to know! :-)))
Sandman
2014-08-29 07:21:50 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
Ah, you must be talking about Floyd's ugly hack? :)
Sandman[.net]
nospam
2014-08-29 08:09:40 UTC
Post by Sandman
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
definitely not.

i was referring to <http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/>.

floyd's hack isn't even worth free.
Sandman
2014-08-29 09:29:15 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Sandman
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
I was making a joke :)
Sandman[.net]
android
2014-08-29 09:29:17 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Sandman
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
[...]
that's the problem with some freeware. the gimp for instance dumped the
work of the film-gimp crowd that would give it 32bit editing and said
the they would roll their own. still eight bits. still not good enough
for serious photography, that do need 32bits. i'm not putting money in
tip jars for thing that i need now! if it don't do what you want/need
then it's a waste of time and therefore money... i e worse than free!
if you want to have an alternative to adobe you could try photoline.
there is a free trial available at http://pl32.de/. this got ranty...
i'm so sorry! ;-)

i have b t w done the no verbal thingy now and then since the
eighties... i tried it out when w allen referred to e e c in "hannah and
her sisters".
nospam
photoline took the gimp source code and repackaged it.
android
2014-08-29 09:44:22 UTC
Post by android
if you want to have an alternative to adobe you could try photoline.
there is a free trial available at http://pl32.de/. this got ranty...
i'm so sorry! ;-)
photoline took the gimp source code and repackaged it.
can you substantiate that claim?
Whisky-dave
2014-08-28 12:56:56 UTC
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
It was overdue, but I had a CF card failure. True to Murphy's law, the
files were experimental, and would have taken hours to repeat.
Fortunately, I did a recovery using OnTrack and all went well.
that's rather expensive for recovering a memory card.
At $79 it was worth it to me.
I can understabnd that, but what I don't like about the company or should I say mistrust is the 9.90 option to be able to re-download it, that's a total rip, because if you have brought it I'm sure they'll say you haven't brought the product but the license to use it. So you should be able to download it as many times as neccessary for the ONE lisenced computer you have purchased it for, a bit like Apple does (although they allow you as many times as you like as long as you own the computer(s) )
PeterN
2014-08-28 14:34:40 UTC
Post by Whisky-dave
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
Post by PeterN
It was overdue, but I had a CF card failure. True to Murphy's law, the
files were experimental, and would have taken hours to repeat.
Fortunately, I did a recovery using OnTrack and all went well.
that's rather expensive for recovering a memory card.
At $79 it was worth it to me.
I can understabnd that, but what I don't like about the company or should I say mistrust is the 9.90 option to be able to re-download it, that's a total rip, because if you have brought it I'm sure they'll say you haven't brought the product but the license to use it. So you should be able to download it as many times as neccessary for the ONE lisenced computer you have purchased it for, a bit like Apple does (although they allow you as many times as you like as long as you own the computer(s) )
I have no idea whether the current version will work if I get a new
'puter with a newer O/S. A lot of companies with low priced apps do
that. All you need to do is keep a copy of the app on a CD or DVD. The
activation code is the same they sent me.
PeterN
nospam
2014-08-28 15:13:48 UTC
Post by Whisky-dave
Post by PeterN
Post by nospam
that's rather expensive for recovering a memory card.
At $79 it was worth it to me.
I can understabnd that, but what I don't like about the company or should I
say mistrust is the 9.90 option to be able to re-download it, that's a
total rip, because if you have brought it I'm sure they'll say you haven't
brought the product but the license to use it.
wow. good catch.

worse, you have to pay up front for the 'extended download insurance'
and it's only good for one year!! what bullshit.

not only is that incredibly sleazy but that's utterly disgusting.

i have *never* seen any software company charge to redownload an app,
especially when they have free trial versions available for download!
they have your payment info on file, so all they need to do is verify
it and email you the serial number.

they also try to scam you with a 'backup dvd', adding $13 to the
purchase. it can be removed but how many people are going to bother?
anyone who really wants a dvd can burn a disc right after downloading
for pennies.

companies like that are to be avoided.
Post by Whisky-dave
So you should be able to
download it as many times as neccessary for the ONE lisenced computer you
have purchased it for, a bit like Apple does (although they allow you as many
times as you like as long as you own the computer(s) )
apple allows redownloading at any time for as many computers as you
own, and in fact is automatic for a new computer. all that is needed is
authenticating with the apple id used to originally download the app.
Mort
2014-08-28 00:56:55 UTC
Post by PeterN
It was overdue, but I had a CF card failure. True to Murphy's law, the
files were experimental, and would have taken hours to repeat.
Fortunately, I did a recovery using OnTrack and all went well.
Just wanted to pass the word that I found the program easy to use, and
worked well. I used the home edition.
I have no connection with this company except as a customer.
<http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/recovery-software/windows/>
A few years ago, a defective PC accidentally erased 40 valuable wedding
pictures from my SD card. I used a free program, the name of which
escapes me now, and recovered 38 of the 40 photos. The 2 lost pix were
of the building's exterior, which I easily reshot.

At one time, SanDisk packed their recovery program in the SD card
packages, but they no longer do so.

The important thing, when images are lost, is to immediately (lock and)
put aside the card, avoiding any further use of it. Further use could
write over the needed images.

Mort
PeterN
2014-08-28 01:17:24 UTC
Post by Mort
Post by PeterN
[...]
Yup!

Now that all the images have been recovered, that will no longer be used.
PeterN
Paul in Houston TX
2014-08-28 02:26:55 UTC
Post by PeterN
It was overdue, but I had a CF card failure. True to Murphy's law, the
files were experimental, and would have taken hours to repeat.
Fortunately, I did a recovery using OnTrack and all went well.
Just wanted to pass the word that I found the program easy to use, and
worked well. I used the home edition.
I have no connection with this company except as a customer.
<http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/recovery-software/windows/>
There are three excellent file recovery programs that I recommend
and all are free.
I have all three on the gaming machine since it is very overclocked
and flakey, and Recuva on the work laptops just in case.

PhotoRec
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
EaseUS Data Recovery
http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/card-recovery-software/free-easy-photo-recovery.htm
Recuva
https://www.piriform.com/recuva
PeterN
2014-08-28 02:59:50 UTC
Post by Paul in Houston TX
Post by PeterN
[...]
Thanks, but it's too late now. Hope others here benefit
PeterN
Pimpom
2014-08-28 07:34:46 UTC
Post by Paul in Houston TX
Post by PeterN
[...]
Fortunately, I've never had to use a recovery tool for myself so
far. But I've used PC Inspector successfully for others several
times - both the general file recovery program and the dedicated
photo receovery tool. They are separate programs and both are
completely free.
http://www.pcinspector.de/Default.htm?language=1
Ken Hart
2014-10-03 20:37:39 UTC
Post by Paul in Houston TX
Post by PeterN
[...]
I've used Recuva, and recommend it, at least for a hard drive. I've never
needed recovery on an SD card. It is critical that once the error occurs,
that the next thing to happen is the recovery program. Any read/write
actions can decrease the chance of successful recovery.
(I've also used Piriform's CCleaner and Defraggler programs. I liked both.
Past tense because I've switched to Linux on most of my machines and have no
need for them.)
--
Ken Hart
***@frontier.com
android
2014-09-04 08:52:07 UTC
In article
In article
Out of interest were you able to view part of your photos before repairing
them? In my case I got half a photo due to problems with the memory card.
that can happen if there is damage on the card, or if the photo was
overwritten by a new photo.
This happened to me the other day when I was transferring photos from the
cameras card using a card reader plugged into the usb port of the computer.
I found two photos that had half the picture missing; the missing part was
tan in colour.
There was no indication in the thumbnails of these photos that something
was wrong.
I managed to copy the photos from the card and this time there was no
problem so it was not the card but something must have gone wrong during
the copying of the photo files.
I was thinking of doing a crc check between the source and the destination
when copying as photos are valuable and I certainly don't want to find
problems later on.
Any suggested programs for checking the source and destination?
If you're on a Mac you can use disk utility. Both for the card and hard
disk. You can observe the file transfer with the activity monitor.
Again, if you're on a Mac I'd recommend that you crosspost to
comp.sys.mac.system.